Friday, July 25, 2008

Carried to the table...

today i was reading from 2 samuel chapter 9. this particular chapter talks about david's kindness to a man who was broken. the man's name was mephibosheth. (and i thought matt liked some strange names!!) mephibosheth was the son of david's best friend jonathan. at this point in history jonathan was dead...and so was jonathan's father, saul, who wasn't too fond of david. okay...so david was hanging out at the palace and started wondering whether any of saul's family was still alive. see, david promised jonathan that he would be kind to his family. so david caught up with one of the servants who had been saul's servant. this guy, ziba, said that jonathan had one son living, and that he was disabled. david sent for jonathan's son...enter mephibosheth. when mephibosheth came to david, he bowed to him in fear and said, "i am your servant." but david said, "don't be afraid! i've asked you to come so that i can be kind to you because of my vow to your father, jonathan." David not only was kind-hearted to mephibosheth, but he also gave him all the land that once belonged to saul. then he invited mephibosheth to come live in the palace with him! Mephibosheth fell on the ground before david. "Should the king show kindness to a dead dog like me?" he asked. the end of the chapter tells us that from that point on mephibosheth ate regularly with david, and david treated him as his own son.

as i read that, i became overwhelmed with the love that God has for me...for all of us. i mean, i'm nothing... i am just a poor, lame girl...a dead dog. but one day, God called my name. he asked for me..."is alicia still alive because i want her with me...i want to invite her to my table...i want to treat her like she were my own." and though i was broken and worthless to everyone else, he showed me favor and carried me to his table. he seated me where i don't belong. thank you, Lord, for inviting me. thank you for seeing past all of my brokenness. thank you for being faithful to the promise that you made when you sent your son, Jesus Christ to save me. thank you for not throwing me out when you see how imperfect i am. thank you. thank you. thank you. i can never say it enough. you are my king.

"Carried to the Table" (Leeland)

Wounded and forsaken
I was shattered by the fall
Broken and forgotten
Feeling lost and all alone
Summoned by the King
Into the Master’s courts
Lifted by the Savior
And cradled in His arms

I was carried to the table
Seated where I don’t belong
Carried to the table
Swept away by His love
And I don’t see my brokenness anymore
When I’m seated at the table of the Lord
I’m carried to the table
The table of the Lord

Fighting thoughts of fear
And wondering why He called my name
Am I good enough to share this cup
This world has left me lame
Even in my weakness
The Savior called my name
In His Holy presence
I’m healed and unashamed

I was carried to the table
Seated where I don't belong
Carried to the table
Swept away by his love
And I don't see my brokenness anymore
When I'm seated at the table of the Lord
Carried to the table
The table of the Lord

1 comment:

Blogger_Girl_24 said...

Hey girl!!

I just tagged you!
Check out my blog for the details!

~BLOG ON!!~

~bloggergirl24